Clearing the air one pedalstroke at a time.

Pedaling, writing toward a better Metro area for cyclists, pedestrians, people who breathe and, by extension, drivers. This is the chronicle of the the battles that we fight, the victories.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Why I Ride My Bike to Work



By riding my bike to work I plan to change the world.
I declare freedom from the petroleum mongering machine.
There's no war in Iraq fought for my gas.
I live on a human scale, and I transport my own ass.

I ride in the dark, before the sun comes up.
A silent prowler sliding along the side of the road.
Cars usually change lanes to briefly pass me by,
Rushing in their boxes, do they ever wonder why?

I rode for poverty, because my car is a piece of shit.
Then there's the forty pounds I lost doing it.
Every day that I ride is a better day.
That's the bottom line for me.

Riding my bike to work puts me in a good mood.
When I drive, stressed is how I arrive.
There's more interactions on a bicycle:
Weather, pavement, daylight, and of course the drivers.
Almost every day someone honks to educate me
Telling me I don't belong where I have a right to be.

In America, your most powerful voice is what you buy.
Whey send dollars to people who want to kill us?
For one day, just try biking or taking the bus.

-Corinna West

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home